This week's theme is Plaid, when I knew about it I was pretty happy, that meant I could sew one outfit only and enter two of the challenges in line, since it also fits perfectly the 3rd week theme of Project Run and Play.
Let's talk about what I did though... Obviously, it is a refashioned outfit. I started with this:
I had these pants saved for a while, they were mine and I had bought them when I was still studying. We had to use a grey uniform and they suited the task perfectly. They were comfy and warm, since it's made of a soft wool. I had this saved with a note attached to it (turn it into pants for the little miss - it said). Mmmm... turns out I didn't want to make just another pair of pants for her. I saw potencial for more, and I came up with the shorts suit idea:
I started by cutting the shorts pieces. I used a self drafted pattern. I've been using this a lot, it is officially my most used pattern ever, it is the fifth time I use it and all those shorts look quite different.
For this I only used the bottom of the pants, I still had quite enough left to make the vest. Let's focus on the shorts first though.
Contrary to the 4 others I made before, this one has a waist band with a fly at the front. It closes up with a (showing) big black button (which matches the big buttons from the vest, though it is a bit smaller than the other 3), and two little snaps that are hidden when it's closed.
I also added an adjustable waist elastic because my daughter is getting tall but skinny, so most of the other shorts she got for her birthday would not stay in her waist. This solves that issue. I used the pants original waistband for the shorts. I only had to cut a bit of this out, and adjust the side loops.
For the side pockets and decoratice cuffs, I used a small scrap from a fabric I had for years. I actually would have loved to use it to line the vest too, but it wasn't nearly enough.
So, I was happy adding a little detail to it using a tiny bit of that fabric that I still had left, and using leftovers from a white sheet for the linning instead.
I traced the vest from an exisiting one and I really thought this would be too big for my G. and I was happy making something that would fit next year. After trying it on her, I wasn't so sure. It fits perfectly already. I believe she'll be able to wear the shorts next year, because of the adjustable waist, but I can't be sure about the vest.
On with the vest... I added a front pocketwith the scraps. I was going to make it plain but it was a bit yeloow(ish) and as to cover it, I chose to add a bow to the pocket. I used 3 big black buttons on the front, that match the shorts button as mention above, and at the back I used a buckle that I had saved from an old bag I dismissed long ago. It allows me to adjust the vest fit too.
Here's a few more shoots of the whole thing put together. G. was picking grapes at her grandparents and having a lot of fun. For the photoshoot she's also wearing a refashion shirt I made her for the Candy theme week over Project Run & Play. HERE
And that's it! Don't forget to check out my fellow competitors over Refashion Runway and vote for your favorite.